Old-school Pumpkin Pie
The best pumpkin pie recipe is on the back of Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk can, as it’s almost identical to our mom’s recipe from Betty Crocker’s new picture cook book circa 1961. Autumn Pumpkin Pie, pg. 351. But if you don’t have this edition (It’s actually quite rare!) Try Eagle Brand’s The Perfect Pumpkin Pie. The only type who won’t be jiving with this old school recipe is the adventuresome Fun, who would do better with vague guidelines and their own twist on this old favorite.
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin (about 2 cups)
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Whisk pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, spices and salt in medium bowl until smooth. Pour into crust.
- BAKE 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted 1-inch from crust comes out clean. Cool. Garnish with Cool Whip. It’s a Midwestern thing and it’s a tad sweeter than whipped cream.